Reviewer: John Teo
The title tells us that this DVD is about how to perform magic with canes. Unfortunately, there is no breakdown on what are being covered by this subject.
The caption in the title states “The Real Secrets” – but we do not have the definition of “real”. The write-up on the back cover of the DVD says “every secret of this …. prop will be revealed to you.” This suggests it is a complete treatise on canes magic. Unfortunate, it is not – the DVD does not cover some aspects of cane magic.
What is taught in the DVD is the cane magic of French magician Fabien Solaz. A more appropriate title should be “The Cane Magic Of Fabien Solaz”.
Here are what is covered in the DVD, taught by Fabien Solaz himself.
- Introduction to various types of canes
- Appearing canes
- How to set up
- How to use with silks, gloves, confetti and balloons
- Cane in knot in silk
- Discussion on cane launcher
- Vanishing canes
- How to set up
- Discussion on its use with various items
- Flourishes with canes – twirling and throwing the cane
- Fire cane to silks
- Dancing cane
- Types of canes
- How to locate the position of balance
- Types and length of string
- Discussion on lighting
- Performing the dancing cane
What would also be nice to cover (but was not done so) in the discussion of canes are:
- Pros and cons of using metal versus plastic canes
- Some history or evolution of cane magic
- Split canes
- Specialty canes such as the animated lighted canes
- How to maintain or store the canes
- How to routine a show with canes; how to routine a dancing cane act
There is a bonus section in the DVD. This section is not on additional routines on canes. It contains:
- Video promos of the close-up magic, stage magic and illusion shows of Fabien Solaz – here, you can see that Fabien is quite an accomplished magician in all fields of magic
- Trailer, teaser, and promo of this DVD
- Remarks by the following personnel:
- Dr Scott Lewis, a stage hypnotist – on the remarkable cane magic of Fabien Solaz
- Nicolai Chistol, an acrobat – balancing a cane on his forehead
- Katrin Surmenelian, model, dancer – on being Fabien’s stage assistant
Although the bonus has very little to do with pertinent information on cane magic, it makes for interesting viewing. This is rightfully placed in the bonus section. This is not a downside of the DVD.
We describe what are included and what are not, in this DVD so that you can decide if you should purchase it. Having said this, Fabien does make quite a decent presentation on his cane magic, especially his dancing cane. You can learn quite a bit from him.(7 / 10)
Please support intellectual property. Only buy original. Available from all reputable Murphy’s Magic dealers.